The modern economy revolves around speed. Everything about our lives is moving fast, and we expect our transactions to keep up. When the sites we’re using lag and hang it’s not just annoying—it hurts business.
RH-ISAC and The Media Trust are exploring some of the unexpected aspects of online retail in our series, “Crazy Things that Happen in your Online Store Every Day.” In the third piece in the series, “Crazy Things You Wouldn’t See in a Retail Store,” we looked at the issue of slow response times in online retail eCommerce websites and found it’s a common problem with real repercussions.
- Domains and calls: Website speed is greatly affected by the number of domains operating on a site and the number of calls each of those domains must make. Do you know how many domains are operating on your retail site right now? Many online retail sites have more than a hundred domains executing. If each of those domains has to make a large number of calls, pretty soon the math adds up to customers clicking away from your site in frustration.
- Carefully monitor the number of calls each domain is making, including nested calls, and keep a close watch on the number of additional parties the domains are bringing to your site.
- Pay close attention to third-party access to your site and restrict it to only trusted sources.
- Monitor the load times of your site frequently, and from a range of different geographic locations and IPs. Discovering (and resolving) spikes in load times will not only reduce the headaches your customers have but may help you detect malicious activity or attacks.
Slow retail pages are often a symptom of easily-resolved problems—and it’s critical retailers resolve those issues quickly. The faster you make the experience for your customers, the happier they’ll be—and the more likely they are to continue shopping!
RH-ISAC and The Media Trust will be looking into more surprising, unexpected, and flat-out crazy things that happen in digital stores that wouldn’t happen anywhere else. Check out our other blogs in this series:
- Crazy Things You Wouldn’t See in Brick & Mortar
- Crazy Things You Wouldn’t See in a Restaurant
- Crazy Things You Wouldn’t See in a Retail Store (Slow Response Times)
- Crazy Things You Wouldn’t See in Curbside Pickup
- Crazy Things You Wouldn’t See in a Hotel
- Crazy Things You Wouldn’t See in a Retail Store (Data Privacy)
- Crazy Things You Wouldn’t See in a Retail Store (Compliance)